- Fantastic gift options for a military retirement party
- Commemorate Time Served with a Unique Sword or Gun Display
- Different Types of Collectible Swords
- Choosing the Perfect Military Sword Gift
- HISTORY OF SWORD ACCESSORIES
- The Early History of United States Military Edged Weapons Used in Combat
- The Knives of the Vietnam War
- Military Swords You Will Want to Add to Your Sword Collection
- How to Keep Your Knives and Swords in Excellent Shape
- Selecting the Best Military Sword Accessories
Posted by Bryan on 11/14/2012 to Military History
While the ceremonial dress sword is part of the uniform of all the military services of the United States, the Army saber is one of the oldest. The sword, or saber was used during the Napoleonic Wars during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Swords were used infrequently thereafter as carbines and other types of artillery came into use, making close contact fighting more obsolete.
The one thing that makes the American military sword unique is rooted in our country's history. Dating back to the American Revolution, our disdain for anything British was shown in our swords and uniforms. We borrowed from the French, Prussians and other countries, making our military and its traditions wholly unique and totally American.
In the U.S. Army today, not only are officers allowed to wear a sword with their dress uniform, but since 1840, noncommissioned officers are allowed to wear a sword with their dress uniforms. Besides their use in the military, there are also serious collectors out there.
Depending on the individual collector, purchasing a particular sword can become very detailed. There is the manufacturer, as well as the type of sword, its history and how it was used to consider. Collecting is a fine hobby, and one that is growing in this country today.